Cyber Safety at Our Firm
The use of digital technology, including computers, laptops, smart phones and tablets are increasing in our everyday lives and if you use the internet you are at risk from internet fraud.
Fraudulent scams and cyber threats have sadly become a fact of life. Solicitors and their clients are no exception.
Firms are being targeted regularly with bogus calls and emails by scammers attempting to steal money from client accounts or steal confidential data.
Firms of all sizes are vulnerable, including PotterReesDolan.
We have devised a strict Cyber Crime and Fraud Prevention Policy which we follow to help protect you and the firm during the course of your dealings with us.
How we work to try to protect you:
- We will never inform you of a change to our bank details by email
If you receive any emails of this nature ALWAYS contact us on the telephone number set out on our letterhead – PLEASE DO NOT use any telephone number given in the email
- If you email us with changes to your bank details we will call you for confirmation before proceeding with any transaction
Try to avoid using the words ‘bank account’ in the subject field of an email you may send to us as this may alert scammers to the content of your email and attempt to intercept it.
- If we need to send you any information which is confidential by electronic means we will do so securely
We will always send this as an attachment in a scanned letter, signed by a member of your legal team and encrypted with a password known only to you and the firm.
- If you receive an email purporting to be from us which looks suspicious, do not follow any links or open any attachments
These suspicious emails may contain malicious software known as malware. This malware can release viruses onto your computer which can be used to control your PC and hold you to ransom or else to harvest confidential data on the IT network. If you are at all concerned, please contact the Practice Manager for advice.
- If the firm becomes aware of a potential or actual scam taking place, it will report the incident
Get in contact
To get in touch with our expert team and discuss your own circumstances, do not hesitate to give us a call on 0800 027 2557. We are here to help, and will provide the assistance you need to progress your claim through to a successful conclusion.
If it is more convenient, you can also fill in our online enquiry form, which will enable a member of the team to get in contact with you.