Richard is a Partner within our expert Personal Injury team, specialising in dealing with unusual, complicated and high value serious injury litigation.
Education & career
He graduated from the University of Liverpool, where he studied law, with first class honours in 2002 and was admitted to the Roll of Solicitors in 2005. Richard says his inspiration for becoming a solicitor was to help ensure that everyone can access justice.
Richard is experienced in dealing with high value unusual personal injury cases, including amputation, brain and spinal injuries, as well as claims for occupational stress. As a Solicitor-Advocate and APIL Fellow, he has dealt with claims in the High Court and Court of Appeal. Richard also writes articles about the rights of accident victims which have been published in a range of professional journals.
What does Richard enjoy most about his role here at Potter Rees Dolan?
"Taking challenging cases to a successful outcome that leaves my clients satisfied."
Barbara Hill v Master Concrete Northern Ltd  EWHC 3613 QB.
Charnock v Rowan and others  EWCA Civ 2.
Professional memberships & accreditations
Richard's professional memberships & accreditations include: Fellow of Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL), Group Secretary of ACSIL, a charity supporting amputees and their carers in Liverpool. Richard is identified within the prestigious Legal 500 as a 'Next Generation Partner', after previously being recognised a 'Rising Star'.
What Legal 500 says:
"Richard Edwards is also recommended for his 'great expertise and experience'."
What others say:
"Richard handles high value, complex personal injury litigation with obvious care and skill, with meticulous attention to detail. He is fearless in advancing the interests of the Claimants who he represents, being forceful and well informed (while being perfectly polite and reasonable) in negotiations with his opponents. His personal skills in dealing with badly injured clients are first rate, advising with skill and authority but also with great sympathy and understanding."
– Peter Cowan, Oriel Chambers, Liverpool
"Richard Edwards is a very high quality personal injury solicitor. He has fantastic attention to detail, works really well as part of a team. He also has very strong legal knowledge, and this in a particularly technical area of personal injury practice."
- Anonymous, Legal 500 2020
- Stress Effects PI Focus Feb 2021
- Case study: C v NHS Trust PI Focus Feb 2021
- Legal expense insurance: time for a reform? - Law Society Gazette September 2019
- Discount rate saga drags on - Law Society Gazette January 2017
- Criminal Lack of Support - Law Society Gazette August 2016
- Clare v Halton Taxis Limited – Civil Procedure: application for specific disclosure of liability insurance policy – Case note PI Focus July 2015
- Watching Brief – examining the law governing the admissibility of surveillance evidence – PI Focus November 2014
- Crash Test (examining the decision of the Court of Appeal in Benjamin Wilkinson v Churchill Insurance) - PI Focus April 2014
- Counting the cost PI Focus November 2013
- Grieving process PI Focus May 2013
- The discount rate: seeking to square the circle. Solicitors Journal vol 157 no3 12. (January 2013)
- West v CICA. Case Note PI Focus Dec 2012. Criminal injuries: eligibility: whether injury attributable to crime of violence: Quantum: mild brain injury, loss of earnings
- Admissibility of Surveillance Evidence: A review of the current law and suggestions for reform. Journal of Personal Injury Law (July 2012)
- B v NHS Blood and Transplant. Case note PI Focus April 2012. Practice: calculation of life expectancy. Quantum: degloving and loss of function in hand, loss of vision in one eye, future care.
Outside of work...
"I like to spend time with my family in the more remote locations of Scotland and Ireland. Having a family member who is disabled gives me a personal interest in disability issues."
Richard put 100% effort into our case. He was thoughtful throughout, clear to understand and kept us informed at all times.
Mr C, Cheshire
Quality and efficient solicitor - I would recommend Richard Edwards who went out of his way to achieve a positive result.
Anthony Williams, Pontefract
I was kept informed of how my case was progressing at all times. At every stage, the process was explained to me and I was always given a clear outline of what my options were. Contacting your offices was made very comfortable by the courtesy and efficiency of your staff. I imagine it must be particularly welcome for clients who are in extremely difficult circumstances. I was very grateful to the expertise and tenacity of Richard Edwards who pursued my case with rigour and consideration.
Anne Laverty, Cheshire