When a medical mistake occurs, it can have a significant impact on your life. It is essential that your claim is… https://t.co/tFRDoob4wl
Man poisoned by chemicals whilst in factory suffers brain damage
Potter Rees Dolan obtains almost half a million pounds for man who suffered an injury at work
Shaun was working as a probationary plant operator at a factory where he inhaled harmful chemical fumes, namely Methyl Iodide (MI).
Upon starting employment, Shaun was given a general health and safety induction but no training on the toxicity of the chemicals. He also felt he was shown different methods of training by different staff.
Although he underwent a face-fit test for a respirator, he was not given the filter cartridges and so had to use a nuisance dust mask instead which provided inadequate protection against the fumes and, as a result Shaun, suffered from chemical poisoning.
He experienced severe headaches, loss of balance, slurred speech and repeated vomiting.
Shaun continued to experience speech difficulties, poor concentration and memory which have all affected his ability to work on a long-term basis.
Poisoning by MI inhalation is rare with only around 17 cases reported in the medical literature globally.
We obtained various expert reports including neuropsychology and toxicology which supported the contention that Shaun has suffered long term brain damage in the form of Organic Personality Disorder and Dysexecutive Function, he also lacks capacity and has ongoing rehabilitation.
We were successful in reaching a compensation award of £425,000 for Shaun. Richard Edwards, Senior Solicitor at PotterReesDolan, acted for Shaun and said:
This was a very hard fought case with lots of complicated features. The ability of chemical exposure to cause brain injury is poorly understood and that made this case particularly unusual. I was pleased to be able to help my client achieve a very good outcome with compensation that reflected the nature of the problems that he was unfortunate enough to suffer as a result of this rare chemical accident.
The names and identifying details of the client have been changed to protect the privacy of individuals involved.